Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 2

The office is quiet now.  The low drone of the air conditioning is my only company as my fingernails click against the keyboard.  This is my second afternoon alone at my computer.  My new supervisor (who was really just the superior to my former boss) has a meeting.  Yesterday, she had work for me, but I've finished all that was set out for today.  I got to use Adobe Illustrator to make changes to the visitor passes that will be used throughout the academic year, which was actually substantially exciting.  I felt creative conjuring little white rectangles with slender black borders and moving them around the page with the flick of the mouse.  Not really a flick.  That would not really have moved them all that far.  More like a sweep.  

This story would be a lot more interesting if the rectangles hadn't moved at all, and when I looked down I discovered that the computer mouse wasn't electronic at all but a real mouse, and then it squeaked at me, wiggled its nose, and scurried under a pile of books.  Then I moved the books aside (because those books didn't belong on my desk) only to find a small green door just big enough to fit my hand through.  I opened the door and pulled out something shiny and gold.  A leprechaun's treasure hold!  I was rich beyond my wildest dreams.  But that didn't happen.  It really was my wildest dreams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah yes, wild dreams, i have plenty of those at work and i'll just leave it at that...

also lol "flick of the mouse". computers + graceful? haha

Tristan said...

I look forward to the next time you can successfully use the label "tiny imaginary Irish man".